Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The S of City Connect

A to Z Challenge - My Theme-  City Connect - my connect with....
Aurangabad-Schooling & Junior College / Bombay- Graduation & First job/ Chennai - Marriage & Motherhood

AURANGABAD
SPRING FILING - When our school brought in the concept of "Cyclostyle Notes" [ printed notes] - filing them became mandatory. When most of my classmates were using Plastic files - Dad introduced me to Spring Files.  He explained the nuances of filing correctly & ensured paper edges didn't show out of file. Punching- Filing- labeling  - all of a sudden it felt like I was in office -not school!

 
BOMBAY
SADGURU PAVBHAJI - Once upon a time my frequented lunch station. 2 buttered Pav with a sumptuous  quantity [ more than required] Bhaaji could make a whole noon meal. Sadguru elevated a Pav Bhaji eating experience to such extent - that any other Pav Bhaji never came this close. 
                                                                                                              

CHENNAI
SETH (pronounced Sate] -  Etymologically " Seth" is a common surname (last name) in Gujaratis. To the best I can interpret, Chennai associates "Seth" to its North Indian shop owning community. People having shops in Sowcarpet area- are all "Seth" here. Tamil movies make frequent references to "Seth Veedu Ponnu"-  and this led to my curiosity to find out who falls under this "Seth" category.

4 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Sadguru PavBhaji sounds like a very good address ;)
S is for Scherenschnitte

SG said...

Uneducated Chennai people used to call any fair complexioned north Indian girl as "Seth Veetu Ponnu". Looks like you have observed the Chennai people very thoroughly. May be soon you will start speaking in Chennai Tamil. Or, have you already mastered it?

Sriya Akhilesh said...

Thanks to you, I'm getting a glimpse of Sowcarpet (What an anglicized name of "Saahukar-pet"!) through your posts :)
Hope to visit those markets someday.

Pradeep Nair said...

My goodness! Thank you for reminding me about "cyclostyle". Those were the days. In school, question papers for Hindi and Malayalam subjects were cyclostyled copies. Because there was no typewriter in those languages. Reminds me about the cyclostyling machine as well.