Thursday, April 23, 2020

The T's of City Connect

A to Z Challenge - My Theme-  City Connect - my connect with....
Aurangabad-Schooling & Junior College / Bombay- Graduation & First job/ Chennai - Marriage & Motherhood


AURANGABAD
TOOP SAAKHAR POLI - All 3 are Marathi Words. Poli is Roti ( Indian flatbread), Toop is Ghee ( Clarified butter) &  Saakhar is Sugar.  Apply a liberal quote of ghee on rotis & sprinkle it with Fine powdered sugar. 
  1. It tastes yummy if you are sweet lover. 
  2. Will entice your taste buds if you need a quick bite. 
  3. It's a happy snack when taken to school. 
  4. Its an interesting makeover with leftover rotis..
  5. I can go on and on.... on this one.... 

BOMBAY
TINKLE DIGEST- Summer vacations meant, joining a nearby library. When most of my friends went for Famous Five; Secret Seven & Nancy Drew-  I picked up Tinkle Digest. Supandi/ Ramu- Shamu/ Doob-Doob/ Tantri- Mantri- never failed to excite. It took some time to realize, books without pictures can also be interesting.

CHENNAI
THOUSANDS LIGHT - It was a crowded bus & there were many standees. I was one of them. Bus conductor was 3 people ahead of me. A lady standing behind me, requested that I buy her a ticket for "Thousand Lights".
Thousand Lights is well known bus stop - but I was too new to the City to know about it. On top of it - she was referring to the Tamil name of Thousand Lights- which was all the more difficult for me understand.
I was figuring out how to tell her that "Neither is your voice audible, nor is the language familiar to me". Its too long a sentence to tell in Tamil on a moving bus.
Thankfully another person came to rescue & bought her the ticket.

4 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

When I visited Chennai for the first time, and I heard about Thousand Lights, I found that the place name quite interesting. And wondered whether actually there are a thousand lights somewhere there.

SG said...

I very well understand your dilemma. After graduation I got a job in Delhi and stayed there for a few years. I did not know Hindi. I once went to a local restaurant for dinner. I wanted one more roti. The server did not understand what I was requesting. Finally, I said pointing to my plate "roti bito". He understood and brought one more roti.

Sriya Akhilesh said...

Toop - learnt a new word! Did not know this meant ghee in marathi
Tinkle - one of my favourites too! I remember you drawing Suppandi once - not sure if you still have that diagram :)
Thousand lights - now that you mention it, I recall the announcement at the metro station going: "Adutha niruthham, aayiram vilakku"

Shilpa Garg said...

Aww! This post made me do some time travel. Our Maharashtrian friends used to make Toop Saakhar Poli and we loved gorging on it!!