Monday, June 4, 2012

On a Ride/ For a Ride?


9.00 PM near Gokul Dairy at Khandeshwar. The only public transport to reach Khandeshwar Railway Station from this place, is an Auto. Other than pricey Nerul East, other parts of Navi Mumbai, have a Share- Auto Facility. The Rickshaw driver, seats 3 – 4 passengers, and charges the nominal fare from each, irrespective of the distance. It is INR 8 per head, from Gokul Dairy to Khandeshwar Station.

It was late evening, and there weren’t many passengers from this locality going towards Station. I waited for 15 -20 mins, then enquired to the Rickshaw guy, if he will ply me as a single passenger (No Sharing). He agreed, saying the Charge will be INR 30. I agreed.

Not even 2 mins since he started, that an old couple with a Young Boy (10-11 Year Old) got in. I reminded the driver, he was supposed to ply me single seat. He immediately reacted, saying they are his family, and they won’t pay. He was just helping them reach the station.

We reached the station. Usually, I keep the (paying) amount ready, even before I reach the destination point. It saves my time, plus the Rickshawala’s time and fuel. (Their engine, in most cases, is on, till you pay).

On reaching Khandeshwar Station, the old man fiddled his pocket, then reached out to the auto driver and paid the nominal fee. The Rickshawala protested, on “we are family” grounds.
But insistence from the old couple prevailed. They paid -he accepted -I smiled.

Thereafter, it took me good 3 mins to argue, and finally pay the "Seat- Sharing Fare" only.

13 comments:

Sia said...

Nicely written..Different states, different cultures but one thing that is common is the Auto guys menace. I suprised that at the end of 3 minutes the auto guy agreed. You must visit Chennai. Any argument with auto guy can lead to a nasty fight..
A well written post..

My Unfinished Life said...

autorickshaw problems seem to be same all over India :)

http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

Shilpa Garg said...

Lucky you that he finally agreed for the Seat Sharing Fare!
Just 2 days ago, I was at Chandigarh ISBT, the shopkeeper asked Rs 10, more than the MRP for the 2 bottles of cold drinks that I took. When I argued, that he cant sell more than the MRP, he said these are the Refrigerator charges etc... and the end result... take it or leave it!! :|

Creative Space said...

Well written dear.....I am saranya Iyer....You can also see my blog....I am from Mumbai too:))http://poemsshortstories.blogspot.in/

Rajesh said...

I am surprised. You are one of the rare success story.

Vivek S Patwardhan said...

Extra payment to rikshawallas is now to be taken for granted, although 25% of rikshas in Thane now have electronic meters. A few rupees here and there does not matter.

What matters is the famous story of Prof Shivajirao Bhonsale who told rikshawalla 'Don't take me in your riksha to antariksha' referring to high speed and unsafe driving.

An average Indian has more than 9 lives. In evidence are all those who travel by riksha.

Good post, enjoyed reading.

Vivek

Ash said...

Autowallahs everywhere are the same! It's a royal pain to argue with them, and hence, I went and bought a car :D

Nice blog, btw, following it now :)

ashok said...

nice blog!

Unknown said...

Thoroughly enjoyable read, nicely done!

Adam said...

I enjoed reading the indian prespective, much different experience from what we have here in the usa for public transport

Richi Baidwan said...

haha that`s crazy! I did not for a minute doubt that the rickshaw wala was lying about the family being his family or associates...very interesting!

Simple but a telling narration.

sm said...

yes its same all over INDIA

Nirvaan Baid said...

did he agree?you must be kidding....right?:P