Saturday, October 10, 2009

2 States


When you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve it. I made 3 trips to the nearest book house, looking out for “2 States”. Disheartened I returned. But then the Indian Coal Conference 2009 made me fly down to the National Capital and on my return, the Delhi Airport, handed me the much awaited “2 States”. Looks like the organizers of Coal Conference, the 500+ delegates across the globe and most importantly my Company that chose me for attending it, conspired to get me my copy.

To begin with, the master story teller, has conquered the Youth Market, yet again, When an stories like Ek Duje Ke Liye, get an intellectual and Gen Next touch, narrations like 2 States come up. Classic narration, excellent sarcasm and fast pace, form the bullet point highlights. The story of two IIM – A Grads, bringing their families together makes a cute scene in the backdrop of bringing forth the Indian Mind Set, towards the Institution of Inter Community Marriages. Though CB calls it a work of fiction, the title mentions it is story of his marriage. This North meets South flick induces frequent bouts of laughter at regular intervals.

For all those unfamiliar with the Great Indian Wedding System the book begins with a note saying.

Love marriages around the world are simple:
Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy. They get married.

In India, there are a few more steps:

Boy loves Girl. Girl loves Boy.
Girl's family has to love boy. Boy's family has to love girl.
Girl's Family has to love Boy's Family. Boy's family has to love girl's family.

Girl and Boy still love each other. They get married.

After the slightly disappointing 3 mistakes of my life, CB is back with mild doses of food for thought, wrapped in a beautiful love story. So when he says, I m 90% entertainer and 10% reformer, he means it.

PS: One thing I still wonder. 5 Point Someone, 1 Night @ Call Centre, 3 Mistakes of my Life and now 2 States…Is CB sentimental about Alpha-Numeric titles?

No comments: