Monday, April 20, 2020

The R's of City Connect

A to Z Challenge - My Theme-  City Connect - my connect with....
Aurangabad-Schooling & Junior College / Bombay- Graduation & First job/ Chennai - Marriage & Motherhood

AURANGABAD
RE-CREA-TION - This is how my Mom split the word  to make me memorize its spelling. No frills attached. It has nothing more than what you read here. I was in 3rd or 4th grade- and had to memorize the spelling of Recreation.  Mom repeated this word with the same split and made me repeat it a couple of times. And Bingo!! I learnt it & till date recall this spelling with the same split.

BOMBAY
RED LETTER - A game we played during vacations. Not getting into the details. But the simple rule of the game was , you make a move when you hear the words " Red Letter" .
Players would be deliberately confused with similar rhyming " Bread letter" " Spread Letter" etc,
With vacations in Bombay & rest of the year in Aurangabad - I enjoyed 2 sets of friends / different games being played in each city. More so- I also enjoyed teaching Bombay games to Aurangabad friends & vice versa.

CHENNAI
ROUNDANA - Some words are area specific . "Roundana" in Tamil is "Chowk" in Hindi.  Look for an English equivalent the closest we get is "Roundabout Junction".I like the simple descriptive word formation Tamils have used here. Take Round from English - add a local slang and make it Roundana.

8 comments:

Anagha Yatin said...

Roundana is so unique so is your connect with 3 cities. I shared the same bond with Mumbai and my native in Vidarbha in growing up years.
Crisp, short read!

Sriya Akhilesh said...

Red letter - only after I read your description of the game did I remember what it was - used to play all that so much! Along with four corners, and goldspot :D
Roundana is new to me- never heard of it...

SG said...

Some roundtanas, like Anna Nagar roundtana, are famous and big landmark.

Arti said...

Even though your entries are short, you manage to paint expanses of your life Vyoma. How true about recall of spelling the way they were taught to us when we were little. And such fun to to be the messenger of new games among your friends.
Roundana reminds me of Anna :)

Shilpa Garg said...

We were taught to spell the same way too.
I dont think we have played red letter. Will read more about it online.
Roundana... this is new and interesting!

Penelope Potty Snooper said...

What a cute way to connect the words with the different cities you lived in...Ingenious

Romi said...

Thank you for sharing your heart-warming episode.

Pradeep Nair said...

That's perhaps the best way to learn spellings.