Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The M's of City Connect

A to Z Challenge - My Theme-  City Connect - my connect with....
Aurangabad-Schooling & Junior College / Bombay- Graduation & First job/ Chennai - Marriage & Motherhood

AURANGABAD
MARATHI-Many sectors have contributed in me learning this language. If school didn't offer it as a 3rd Language- Reading & Writing Marathi would not have happened. Speaking Marathi was out of question- had it not been for friends at Paalna Ghar [creche] . Thanks to Marathi- until recently-Ugaadi remained Gudi Padwa. Kandha-Batata sounds more familiar than Pyaaz/Aaaloo [Onions/Potatoes] even today.

BOMBAY
MUMBAI LOCALS- Its more to experience than to read. There is a knack in boarding & disembarking a Mumbai local which halts for less than a minute at every station. I would not do justice if I speak of Mumbai locals in 2-3 lines.  So I rather give you a glimpse of it though the posts - I have dedicated to Mumbai Locals in the past

CHENNAI
MANNADY -1st taste of North Chennai -the real local Chennai crowd can be seen here. I got a chance to commute to this place by trains/ cab/ auto - all of them dropping me at different points of North Chennai. Mannady familiarized me to the Beach-Tambaram local; it gave me the much awaited entry to Chennai port. It surprised me with the sea of shipping companies- big/ medium/small residing here.

7 comments:

Sriya Akhilesh said...

"Kandha-Batata sounds more familiar than Pyaaz/Aaaloo" - totally relatable!
I met a lady in Bangalore and I didn't know where she was from. But when she said "Arre is pohe me kanda nahi daala" - I immediately asked her if she was from Maharashtra and she responded with Kolhapur.

Anita Sabat said...

Interesting post, Vyo!
Hey! You have written so many posts about Mumbai locals.
Every journey is a story by itself! :)
Stay safe.

Arti said...

I like the way you've used the letter M to connect three cities with such diverse topics. Nice.

SG said...

Looks like you know in and out about Chennai and visited all locations. I was living in Chennai until I graduated from college. Never been to Mannady till now. But been to Parry's several times.

Shilpa Garg said...

Aah! Mumbai has been our home for 8 years and we created some beautiful memories there. But I wouldnt want to live there again, now!! Love the quiet and peace of small towns!
Chennai... I love for its food. Have been there for many work trips and loved exploring the markets and the beach!

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Less than a minute at every station? Wow... :D

The Multicolored Diary

Pradeep Nair said...

I have been on Mumbai's locals only on a few occasions. I could understand how important they are for the city and its people.