Saturday, October 1, 2011

Untitled - (you are free to title it)

When I made my 94th post on 27th Aug, I thought 100 was just a shout away. I was wrong, the whole Sept went dry (“dry”, that’s what bankers say, when ATMs run out of Cash).

I would not say, there wasn’t enough to write. Sept gave me 2 books, entirely different from one another. One historic, the other contemporary. One on Hindu Mythology, the other an Indian Satire.
When my colleague asked for a book that sounded like Importance of Meluga, I mumbled exactly the same to the Librarian. It turned out to be “Immortals of Meluha”. Another thing I realize,the book is extremely popular and highly sought. But for a book that runs into 500 pages & more needs to have something more than just being popular, to tempt me. This happened in the form of 3-4 story sessions. My colleague kept narrating the story just as she progressed with her reading. It was story time over lunch (just like vacations). This didn’t last long; my colleague went on a leave, leaving me guessing, on what happens next. It was my turn to turn pages and discover myself. Final word: Go for it.

Having finished with Meluha, I was looking for “Secret of Nagas”. But it called for a waiting period. Now I wanted to take up something light, and here was a book by a blogger turned author. My cliché about blogger turned authors is that, the book may turn out to be a compilation of blog posts, projected as a logical extension. I was not fully wrong. But when logical extensions get a tone of satire, it takes less than 4 hours (with warranted breaks) to finish a “May I Hebb your Attention Pliss”.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

How about: Blog launches and book luncheons?

magiceye said...

loved your crisp reviews!

THE REEL said...

Eh.. At last

vinay said...

I so desperately want to read that both books by Amish Tripathi.
Hope that I get to read them by this Diwali.

deeps said...

just stopping by....
fill your tank everyonce a while as to avoid a 'dry' patch.. you got 2 books already :P

Shashidhar Sharma said...

I enjoyed your writing style.... though I write more of the details of the books that I read and what touches me most in the book... your style is crisp and lovely...

Well Meluha was good and Nagas is mellower... but both books are fast and entertaining... {I have had met Amish few times and when I asked him at the first launch in Mumbai, who is he to write about Shiva - what credentials he has to say in public that he knows Shiva... he said, well I am from Varanasi... it was good to see that in his second books launch, he has mellowed down the rhetoric of knowing Shiva... ;-)}
But then my reading is totally different starting from Psychology, to spritual and love and life...and I have written about them at my blog... if you go there dont forget to look at Soundarya Lahiri, or at Nietzsche or at Zorba the Greek.... at the section called FEATURE...


Shashi
ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
At Twitter @VerseEveryday
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/07/whispers-memories-to-live-by.html

Spiritual Sherpa said...

So when do we get to review your book :)

Sowjee said...

I have gone through those "dry" months many a times.. 4 more to make a century!... :) Well written..

Cheers!
http://sowjee-crux-of-life.blogspot.com/